The remains of Karnin Lift Bridge, (or Hubbrücke Karnin, as it is called in German), is situated in the middle of the Peenestrom estuary in North Germany.
The bridge was built with rust-resistant steel in 1932 (opened in 1933), and destroyed by the wehrmacht 29. April 1945, to prevent the rapidly advancing Red Army from using it during the final months of World War II.
Before it was destroyed, the bridge was 360 metres long.
The liftable frame is 51,7 metros long, and 35 metres high
The rust-resistant steel is the reason it’s still standing. Normal steel, would have corroded far more, without regular painting, and the bridge would have fallen in the river, a long tim a ago.